Thursday, February 21, 2008

Civilization: Revolutions for consoles

Ahh, I can still remember the good old days when I first saw and played Civilization. That was the first game that managed to keep me up all night in the continuous attempt to conquer the world. The real strategy game in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I love StarCraft and WarCraft as much as any other guy, but the idea of crashing a nuclear powered and defended city and the possibility of causing the end of the world through a rain of nuclear missiles has something special to it. And let's not forget that you could defeat all sort of tanks with a large number of spearmen or swordsmen by shear number itself. Those were the good old days.

Civilization Revolutions console game
Civilization 4 has brought a lot of improvements in my opinion, but I can't help being a little bit disappointed that it didn't run well on my PC. And now I still can't enjoy the new release 2K Games bring to the gaming environment. The main reason for that is that it's for consoles and I'm not really into all that stuff. I'm a PC kind of guy all the way. Or at least until I can put some money aside to purchase a console.

The concept of the game stays the same: start from the beginning of human civilization as we know it and advance into the future, defeating all the enemies on the way. Take control of the world and become the strongest civilization the world has ever seen. But several things have been changed. Unlike the PC version, it is not the leaders that have various attributes. Rather the civilizations themselves have superpowers, one for each age and another overall one. And they all seem like game winners, which makes choosing a civilization a hard thing to do. Also each tile produces only one of the resources (food, commerce or production) so players will need to manage cities closely. Ruin structures have been introduced on the strategic map, and they are designed to grant bonuses to the civilization that discovers them, if they can overcome the barbarian defenders. The first civilization to discover each technology also gets a nice bonus. The victory conditions have also been modified a bit and there are now more incentives to go for research, diplomatic and economic victories, rather than stamp your enemies relying on sheer military power.

The game seems to stand by its heritage and will prove once again what a real strategy game should be like. Developed by Firaxis, the release date is announced to be June 3rd, 2008 and the platforms will be Xbox 360, Nintendo DS and PlayStation 3. I hope all you console guys out there enjoy it.

Official Homepage: CivilizationRevolution.com
Screenshots of Civilization:Revolutions at IGN