Thursday, February 21, 2008

CRT displays are replaced by LCD

LCD vs CRT dysplaysThis shouldn't surprise us at all, and it's in no form a news flash, but it appears that finally the LCD displays are reaching affordable prices for a great quality. We can only look back on the days when LCD displays had a small visibility angle or a lousy refresh rate or a crappy resolution and contract. Although the last do make for a great argument in choosing what type of display to purchase, I've always considered the angle factor something somewhat useless. I'm not used to watch my monitor from a 60 degrees angle, so I don't care. I, and probably many others, like to stare at the monitor straight on. I guess It's only necessary when you gather around with the family and look at holiday photos or who knows what else, just like the Windows setup shows up. And probably for presentations.

Anyway, following this article from Extremetech.com we can conclude that the LCD displays have achieved what they were meant to do: replace the CRT displays. Sales on LCD displays and plasma TV's have grown to such an extent that they have overtaken the classic CRT. We can only assume that from now on, things will go on this way and very soon, the old desktop "space takers" will eventually disappear.

Until the next big thing in display technology is discovered/invented we have the sleek looking LCD to glare at. Although I'm a great fan of the old CRT's and still haven't purchased a LCD, it seems like I will be forced to do so. My eyes are starting to impose it on me. It's a good thing they lasted for this long.